Sunday, November 15, 2009

New Study: Pot Might Ease Stress

Ok, so I'm checking my e-mail a few minutes ago and I come across this Headline on Bing. My first thought was, Ya Think, and you know I had to read the study.

So it's a study out of Israeli (I didn't know they were so cool over there:-) and the study focused on the use of the active ingredient in marijuana to relieve the symptoms associated with Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder. This particular study used rats. And then I thought "How the heck do you get a rat to smoke a blunt?" I then envisioned all these rats smoking a joint with sunglasses on, laying on chaise lounges, eating Doritos...

And then reality struck.

I was disappointed to learn the rats received a synthetic form of the active ingredient in marijuana, poor rats. It was also disturbing to me that these rats were shocked with electricity and while this should not have come as a shock to me, er, I meant surprise; I was just flummoxed that an experiment like this would even have to be done.

How much money was spent in proving the obvious I wondered? Ask any person who smokes marijuana and they will tell you it relieves their stress. Now look, I don't smoke, and I'd be exaggerating if I said I've seen anymore than 2 marijuana cigarettes in my entire life; but why would anyone waste any money on trying to prove the obvious??!! It's like having a debate as to what color is white milk, who's buried in Grant's tomb, what time is it at 2 o clock....

Oh yeah, and this study was published in the Journal of Neuroscience, hey, I want to join their club :-)

Hope everyone is having a great Weekend!

Dr Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment